Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What's Old is New Again.


At long last all of the bedroom furniture has been refinished and stained to match. It took 3 days but the dresser is finally finished.

This is a part of a bedroom set that has belonged to Mary's great-gandmother, grandmother, aunt & mother. Because of the finish it was considered pretty poor quality and because of many generations of chain-smokers with unruly children it was in pretty poor shape. But we dug under the surface to find something great.

I sanded off all of the old yellowed varnish, polished and sealed the old brass pulls, stained the wood a nice dark cherry red, and polyurethaned it all for a satin finish.

Here is the dresser at the start of this project. It's not as dusty as it looks.

Under the first piece I took off I found fingerprints in the dust from the past.


I then continued to take all of the pieces apart until I was just left with the skeleton of the dresser.

Underneath all that yellowing lay a nice reddish piece of wood. See below for a piece before and after sanding.






Once all the pieces had been sanded it was time to line up all the pieces in the garage to begin staining.






And then the final product.


4 comments:

  1. Yeah mikey~~~~ The dresser looks so good! I am so happy that you got it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, you look so dapper in that orange outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is so absolutely beautiful! go team poggie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I appreciate the compliments- on both my refinishing and fashion skills!

    ReplyDelete