Monday, September 21, 2009

Waterbottle Sling

This is going to have to be a mini-post, because this project was done in a hasty fit of panic and no photos were taken of the process.

I realized about two days before I was to leave for Peru that I would likely need some kind of water-bottle-holding-apparatus. By this time, however, I was at the point where I refused to purchase ANYTHING ELSE and so was fashioning supplies out of whatever I could find.

After a few hours cursing at my pathetic sewing machine, I had come up with this:




The sleeve is made from some leftover quilted fabric from my housebook cover and the strap is, fantastically enough, scrapped together from my old Applebee's uniform polo shirt.

If they make you buy it, it damn well better be useful post-TequilaLimeChicken, that's all I'm sayin'.

Anyway, I doubled over the already quilted fabric so that it would be extra cushioned so I didn't end up with a Kleen Kanteen shaped bruise on my hip. Then I just wrapped it around the bottle, made note of the size (plus a little bit of give) and sewed it closed.

After that, I didn't have a strip of polo shirt that was long enough, so, instead, I just cut a bunch of large sections out, doubled them over for strength and sewed them all together, patchwork style. I attached the strap all the way to the bottom of the sling's sleeve so that it was less likely to rip apart from stress.

It's not pretty, but, man, it worked well.




1 comment: